Monday, April 30, 2012

Savage back, poised for big year

By: Anthony Esparza
Photo courtesy of: NMSU Athletics Department

Donte Savage was disappointed to say the least when he was deemed academically ineligible for the 2011 football season, which would have been his senior year.

The 6’2’’ defensive end from Portland, Ore. was coming off a junior season in which he tallied 36 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles and two pass breakups. As a sophomore, Savage had 53 tackles, six sacks, two forced fumbles and a blocked punt. 

The momentum Savage gained in those two seasons came to an abrupt halt when he received the news he would have to sit out the 2011 season because of academic issues.

“It was a hard pill to swallow, but it was my fault,” Savage said. “I didn’t take care of my academics, but it was a good lesson for me. It made me more humble and it made me take school more seriously.”

Savage’s absence had a noticeable impact on the Aggie defensive line last season, but other players stepped in to try to fill the void. One of which was Stephen Meredith, who played in 12 games as a true freshman. Meredith recorded 21 tackles last season, eight of which were solo efforts.

With his academic situation now resolved, Savage returns as a redshirt senior in 2012 and is ready to pick up where he left off two years ago. NMSU head football coach DeWayne Walker is impressed with what he has seen from Savage in spring practice.

“I think he’s doing a better job rushing the passer. He seems quicker and faster, and he just seems more mature,” Walker said. “If he continues to play like he is, I think he’ll be one of the better defensive ends in our conference.”

Savage has proven to have the talent to be one of the elite defensive players in the Western Athletic Conference. He was named to Phil Steele’s postseason All-WAC Team in 2009, and won a WAC Defensive Player of the Week award in 2010.

Savage said he has a lot to make up for this season, but is on the right track to accomplish his goals.  Savage has used spring practice as an opportunity to return to football shape and develop good relationships with the younger players on the defense.  

“I’m one of the older guys on the team. The guys I came in with have all graduated, so I’m trying to build a good relationship with the new guys,” Savage said. “Everything is going good, and I like the new players and everybody. I hope we can gel before the season comes, so we can get the show going.”

No comments:

Post a Comment